Monday, January 22, 2007

another year, another indubitable bout of wishful thinking

It's that time again. No, not that time - January has yet to bless me with the lovely little cycle that defines me as a woman. And i'm not talking about it being tax season, either - unlike Holly, the whole tax thing doesn't leave me "giddy with butterflies in my stomach and my eyes popping out of my head in eager anticipation." And apparently, it's not time for snow, either. But that is a sore subject i will save for another day.

It is time, ladies and gentlemen, for HGTV's Dream Home Sweepstakes. The tradition of entering this contest began about four years ago. I remember exactly where i was the first time i laid eyes on an HGTV dream home. I was sitting - no, more like sprawling - across my aunt and uncle's couch after a long day consisting inevitably of about fifteen courses of delectable food (my aunt was working for celebrity chef Ming Tsai at the time), and i was flipping mindlessly through their eight million channels, trying to find something that would keep me awake. Too many times had i fallen comfortably asleep on a day such as this one, only to be rudely jolted out of REM to my dad poking me violently and informing me that it was time to drag my butt out in the bitter cold to go home. I had learned my lesson, thus the necessary flipping.

Click. Click. Click...[Insert ethereal sound effects reminiscent of that which is heard upon finding the golden goose egg here]...and there it was: Dream Home 2004, a victorian-inspired 3,000-sq-ft home located on the Georgia coast. The $1.2 million prize package also featured a sport-utility vehicle, screened-in boat dock, and a tower room that rose four stories above the ground. Still a teenager, the hook that captured my heart was the "secret room", a room originally designated for attic storage with just one window, which the designers found and turned into a wicked sweet media room that presented enticing possibilities that nearly made me drool.

The letdown came, of course, when i realized that one must be 18 years old to enter the dream home contest. Once again, life was proving that there was truly nothing sweet about being sixteen, and my heart deflated like an unloved balloon. The next best thing, i decided, was to have my parents win it, and as you can imagine, getting them to enter didn't take much convincing, although they both agreed that if they did win, they'd probably just sell it. Having already warmed up to the idea of moving to Georgia, i thought, "There's no way that's happening, but whatever. I'll just get them to win it first and cross that bridge when i get there."

Needless to say, i never got within a thousand miles of that bridge. Same with Dream Home 2005 (Texas - which i would have sold immediately after an insane, drunken, week-long fiesta) and Dream Home 2006 (North Carolina).

This year, however, is going to be different. It MUST be different. Because from the very first moment my fickle blue eyes fell on the 2007 dream home in the mountains of Winter Park, Colorado (
see it here), i was head over heels in love. I'm talking heart-pounding, dreamy sighing, already wickedly jealous and resentful of all other potential homeowners, in love. Located at the base of some of the most popular ski trails in Winter Park, this home is completely composed of rustic, exposed beams, latte and cocoa-colored walls, stacked-stone fireplaces, and stunning views of the snow-capped mountains. It's Hotel Aspen meets Wilderness Lodge, and it's PERFECT.

Unfortunately, i am behind in the daily entering process, but i refuse to let this discourage me. I have until February 16 to enter, and by Jim, i'm going to enter like it's 2999. Did i forget to mention that the grand prize is in total worth $2.5 million, and includes a brand spankin' new GMC Acadia, along with $250,000 from lendingtree.com? And if that's not enough, get this: "a private multi-million dollar clubhouse for residents of the Bridger's Cache Community features a steam room, pool, sauna and private bowling alley exclusively for the winner of the HGTV dream home and neighbors."

Quite frankly, i was hesitant to write a blog about this dream home of mine, for obvious reasons (if you're reading this, and have decided to enter yourself or someone you know in this contest, i am afraid that - at least until February 16 - we will be bitter enemies). However, i opted to take my chances and spill the guts of my heart to you all in hopes that you will not play the odds against me, but will instead support and encourage me in this emotional, stressful time of year (in other words, cheer me on, lie to me as much as possible and tell me that not only do you fully believe that i'm probably one of very few people actually entering this contest, but that God himself has told you that i'm going to win).

That's all.

Amendment I
- In the interest of those who do wish to enter in this contest but do not wish to become bitter enemies with me, and because i have concluded that it will increase my own chances of winning (yes, i am selfish and greedy), i hereby add this amendment opening the contest to all eligible participants (i.e. you're over 18 and wouldn't mind sharing a house with me), under the strict agreement, which will be written and signed by all involved if numbers allow, that we ALL get to live in this house, regardless of who actually wins.

Amendment II - I hereby stand corrected; as Audrey has pointed out, one must be 21 years old to enter this contest. I am deeply sorry if i have given false hope to anyone out there under 21. I myself have taken precautionary measures to avoid this potential pitfall and am actually entering under my husband's name, which, contrary to what my stewing mother believes (she has read this blog and realized that by encouraging others to enter in order to up my own chances of winning, i am actually diminishing her chances of winning), is not cheating. the bible clearly states that marriage is the act of two becoming one, so technically, i am still entering myself but it's completely legal (and here i brace myself for the snide, quick-witted comebacks: "so since your husband is 21, does that mean you can drink alcohol? huh??")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home