Thursday, May 10, 2007

Along Came Adam

Many of you who are good friends of mine and have networked with me through Myspace will vividly recall the day when a random stranger known as "The Empyreal Wordsmith" suddenly appeared on my top 8 list. Out of the woodwork you came, assaulting me with questions like "Who the heck is that guy?" and "How did he beat me out of the top 4??!" While I can assure you that any and all status bumps within my top 8 are never anything personal but made simply for the sake of shaking things up a bit, I will now finally explain the mystery that is The Empyreal Wordsmith.

One fateful morning at the end of January, I signed onto Myspace to find a message waiting for me. I very rarely get comments, let alone messages on Myspace, so I imagine I probably sat there happily admiring the bold red text announcing that I had a message for a while before actually clicking on it. When I eventually did, however, I was surprised to find out that the message was from a complete stranger. I was not receiving a lot of spam at this point but I would have assumed that's what it was if not for the title above his goofy photo: "The Empyreal Wordsmith." It sounded halfway intelligent and, being somewhat of a wordsmith myself, I decided to quell my curiosity and just see what it was he had to say.

His name was Adam Bogert and he was from New York. He'd been Googling the lyrics to one of Anberlin's latest singles entitled "Dismantle.Repair" and because I had these lyrics posted on my Myspace page, he'd read them there instead of on a lyrics search engine to avoid potential viruses and whatnot. In checking out my page, he realized that we seemed to have a few [essential] things in common. Why he decided to message me and say hello when he already got what he was looking for I'm not quite sure. Perhaps his friends were all being jerks that day and he thought it was time to make a new one.

In any case, I'm glad Adam initiated contact that day because he turned out to be a really awesome, interesting person and if we'd met under any number of other circumstances, I absolutely would have befriended him:

1. First and foremost, we're both passionate, revivalistic pursuers of God. We both agree that the American church in general needs to experience some major changes and get back to the basics of Christianity.

2. We share a very similar taste in music and at the time of our initial introduction happened to both be enthralled with Anberlin and caught up in the release of their latest and greatest album, Cities. This led to us updating each other consistently about the band's quirky video blogs, the shipping status of our pre-ordered albums, and whether or not we would make it to one of their shows. Sadly - devastatingly - neither of us did...but we did, however, make it to Relient K shows within three days of each other.

3. In a word: sarcasm. It’s hard enough these days finding someone who can appreciate this unpopular sense of humor, but to find someone who actually possesses it, too, is rare indeed. Therefore, they should be kept as long as possible and only let go if absolutely necessary.

4. Last but certainly not least, the wordsmithery. Adam is one of the greatest writers I’ve ever met, and he is constantly cracking me up as he often tends to put a comedic spin on his everyday life stories. His work inspires me in my own work, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that when you find someone inspirational to you, you should keep them close – more so, even, than those who share your sense of humor. Currently, Adam and I are both involved in a collective writing effort temporarily known as “Something Before,” a dark saga that dares to take an introspective, fantastical look into the future of the modern world. We are also faithful readers of each other’s blogs and try to plug them whenever possible so that others will check out our amusing musings and give us feedback.

Speaking of which.

Please continue reading and responding to my blogs at:
audreysrevolution.blogspot.com
More importantly, start reading and responding to Adam’s blogs at:
theempyrealwordsmith.blogspot.com
(Because one day soon he will publish an ingenious book and become the next million dollar man, and you’ll want to be able to honestly brag to everyone that you’re already good friends with him and a faithful subscriber of his blogs [and at that point you will loyally plug it and support the mystery that is…*dun dun dunnnnn…* The Empyreal Wordsmith.])


Hopefully this explanation was revealing and sufficient enough for the lot of you. Be sure to check back for more updates on the Adventures of Adam and Audrey!

Oooh, I hear a book being born...

2 Comments:

Blogger AKBogert said...

Perhaps, but the title you suggest sounds more like an homage to Dick and Jane than something I might actually want to read. God knows it'd get pretty boring if our stories ran something like: "Who wrote the blog? Adam wrote the blog. Audrey wrote the blog. Adam and Audrey wrote the blog. David read the blog. David read the blog that Adam wrote. David read the blog that Audrey wrote. David read the blogs that Adam and Audrey wrote. Adam wrote a blog about meeting Audrey. Audrey wrote a blog about meeting Adam. Adam and Audrey wrote books about meeting each other. David read the blog about how Audrey met Adam. David read the blog about how Adam met Audrey. David read the blogs by Adam and Audrey. David read the blogs by Adam and Audrey about how they met each other. The End."

Nevertheless, a joint effort would not be an unwelcome concept.

May 10, 2007 at 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and perhaps i can contribute yet another piece to your intricately spun web... or at least an off-chute (think bamboo)... i saw an amazing band recently, called Copeland. you may have already heard of them - i believe they had a cd blurb in one of the more recent Relevant mags. anyway. i decided to blog on said show, and poke fun at the hipster attendees. make no mistake, i am envious of the hipster (as i thought i clearly stated). later my friend Liz corrected me and said that i was probably referring to a hipster/emo kid blend. nevertheless... i was feeling good about myself, and my blog, so i sent it to Copeland via myspace. this started a dialogue between myself and lead singer aaron marsh. really nice guy - provided lots of constructive criticism. my one complaint is that he did not write back to refute my philosophical points on classified teenagers and their individuality... ahhh well. the point? Anberlin is in their top 8, and they are touring with Copeland. the other point is, if you write a blog about how amazing Anberlin is, i bet you get a response.

of course, i went on to try the same thing with The Killers, but their myspace email is blocked.

xoxo

May 14, 2007 at 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home