Saturday, November 17, 2007

the beginning of the end of fruitless relationships

To whom it may concern:

I write to you on this gorgeous autumn morning with great heaviness on my heart.

Every once in a blue moon i ask my mom to buy Apple Jacks, each time hoping that they'll taste different. This disappointing process of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, as we all know, is the very definition of insanity.

I have finally decided to go straight to the source (which i'm left to assume is the receiver of this message) to express my concern regarding this incongruous cereal.

Apple Jacks do not taste like apples. Not even a little bit. Of course, this is not news to the company; in fact, Kelloggs makes a point of it in their commercials (which, i might add, the general public have always found incredibly annoying):

Dad: "Why do you kids like Apple Jacks if they don't taste like apples?"

Kids (looking at Dad as though he's the dumbest thing to walk past them since Mr. Potato Head): "We just do!" (followed by a chorus of laughter like they've just said something incredibly clever)

I don't get it. Am i missing something? Why would you deliberately give a cereal a name that is completely contradictory to its characteristics? Rice Krispies...Froot Loops...Frosted Flakes...all of these make sense. Apple Jacks? What's the story here? Perhaps they should have been named Cinnamon Jacks, because that's the only flavor i've ever tasted. By the way, i counted this morning and there were roughly 10 green jacks to every 50 orange ones. So once again, what's the story here?

Another thing i'd love to see change is the sugar content. Don't get me wrong, i'm all for sugar, but when my milk starts turning into sweet sludge that leaves me feeling sick after one bowl of cereal (which i MIGHT be able to overlook if it actually tasted like apples)...my morning is ruined, and i want to burn my box of half-eaten Apple Jacks and vow never to buy another box again.

I want to like Apple Jacks. I really do. But i'm looking at my history with Apple Jacks and looking at all the other cereals that have never let me down, or at least have improved over time, and i'm thinking this may be the end of our fruitless relationship - literally.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I humbly await your response and will remain hopeful until then.

Audrey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home